So this is interesting.

So from HTTP server #1 (172.1.1.1 example) I hit:
https://172.1.1.1:23270/static and I see this in the HTTP log:
172.1.1.1 - - [22/Feb/2017:10:14:48 -0800] "GET /static/ HTTP/1.1" 200 32
I see this in the Tomcat log:
172.1.1.1 - - [22/Feb/2017:10:14:48 -0800] "GET /static/ HTTP/1.1" 200 32
((( Yes I know they look identical, but the logformat is the same, so it
comes out looking the same, but they are  two diff log files totally )))

I then hit the https://loadbalancer.domain.com/static from my Win10 laptop
 (10.1.1.2 example)
and I see this in the HTTP server #1 log, but NOTHING in the tomcat access
log.
10.1.1.2 - - [22/Feb/2017:10:20:02 -0800] "-" 408 -

So 408.  Timeout.  Hmm... Why?  We KNOW that it can connect from http ->
tomcat:18080 perfectly.   So is it a timeout BACK to the F5?  That i dont
know yet.

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 3:39 PM, André Warnier (tomcat) <a...@ice-sa.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>

> But something isn't working, otherwise you would not be asking.
> So,
>
> a) hitting the tomcat webapps through httpd seems to be working fine
>   (browser -> httpd:23270 -> tomcat:18080 -> webapp or static)
>
> b) hitting a non-proxied-to-tomcat resource of httpd seems to work fine
> too, even through the F5
>   (browser -> F5:443 -> httpd:23270 -> html page)
>
> c) it is only when you do :
>   (browser -> F5:443 -> httpd:23270 -> tomcat:18080 -> webapp or static)
>   that you see this issue
>
> It would really help if you looked in the logs of both httpd and tomcat,
> and checked for differences betweens cases a, b and c above.
>
> I believe that the F5 message with the port 23270 is a minor issue, of
> information disclosure by the F5, that it should not disclose.
>
> But the reason why it returns this error is obviously that in that case,
> it does not get a response from his request to httpd.
> The reason for this response not coming back to the F5 (in case c only),
> can be due to either httpd or tomcat. But F5 doesn't know about tomcat. So
> for the F5, it is httpd which is not responding. Thus,
> - either httpd is never getting the request from the F5 (unlikely, because
> in b above it gets it and responds)
> - or httpd is getting the request from the F5, but not forwarding it to
> tomcat, but also not returning an immediate error response to F5 (which
> seems also unlikely, because of a and b)
> - or httpd is getting the request, forwarding it to tomcat, but not
> getting a response from tomcat. So
>   - either tomcat is never getting the request from httpd (but in a, it
> gets it)
>   - or tomcat is getting the request from httpd, but not responding (but
> in a, it does)
>   - or tomcat is getting the request and responding, but the response
> never gets back to httpd (but in a, it does)
>
> So if a and b and c are all accurate, there is something apparently
> illogical happening.
> This would lead to the conclusion that a and b and c cannot all be
> accurate.
>
> The logs.. ?
>

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 2:05 PM, Antonio S. Cofino <cofi...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Aaron, on tomcat instances change the redirectPort attributte on the http
>>> conectó to the loabbalancer's port 443
>>>
>>> My guess is that your webapp has restriction rule requesting SSL con
>>> fidntial channel. Therefore the non-confidential to the 18080 port from
>>> the
>>> balancer are redirected to the 23270 port, but it should be 443.
>>>
>>> Antonio
>>>

>>> El 21/2/2017 19:46, "Aaron Gray" <aaronmg...@gmail.com> escribió:
>>>
>>> I have an application server from a vendor that comes bundled with an
>>> additional Apache Tomcat server.  The webapp SelfService.war is vendor
>>> supplied too.
>>>
>>> Here's my problem (IP's replaced to protect the innocent):

>>> DMZ=172.x.x.x
>>> INTERNAL=10.x.x.x
>>>
>>> server1 https listen = 172.1.1.1:23270
>>> server2 https listen = 172.1.1.2:23270
>>> F5 load balancer hostname = loadbalancer.domain.com:443
>>> backend tomcat server = 10.1.1.1:18080
>>>
>>> mod_proxy configuration:
>>> ProxyPass /SelfService http://10.1.1.1:18080/SelfService
>>> ProxyPassReverse /SelfService http://10.1.1.1:18080/SelfService
>>>
>>> When I access these DMZ webservers which mod_proxy back to Apache Tomcat
>>> as:
>>> https://172.1.1.1:23270/SelfService
>>> and