> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mark Thomas [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: Friday, March 24, 2017 12:00 PM
> To: Tomcat Users List <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: location of tomcat-juli.jar
>
> On 24 March 2017 16:06:21 GMT+00:00, Jeffrey Janner
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I was re-reading the RUNNING.txt to see why I had to copy
> >tomcat-juli.jar to the CATALINA_BASE/bin directory instead of just
> >having it run out of CATALINA_HOME/bin.
> >It seemed annoying to me to have to copy it to all my CATALINA_BASE
> >instances every time I upgraded, but I thought I ran into problems not
> >having it there.
> >Then I ran into this bit of documentation:
> >
> >In CATALINA_BASE:
> >
> >* bin - Only the following files:
> >
> > * setenv.sh (*nix) or setenv.bat (Windows),
> > * tomcat-juli.jar
> >....
> >
> >In CATALINA_BASE:
> >
> >* bin - Only the following files:
> >
> > * setenv.sh (*nix) or setenv.bat (Windows),
> > * tomcat-juli.jar
> >
> >So I guess my question is, can I really just leave it out of my
> >CATALINA_BASE directory without causing any issues?
> >I want to say I had issues with it not being there, but cannot recall
> >what they were.
> >And if there is no difference, why make the suggestion in the
> >RUNNING.txt file at all?
>
> You copied the wrong bits from RUNNING.txt
>
> You can place the jar in CATALINA_HOME if you wish.
>
> The historical reason for allowing both is if you want different
> implementations in different instances you need to put the right
> implementation JAR in CATALINA_BASE.
>
> Mark
>
Thanks Mark. Thought I'd copied the right part for the second setting. Here
it is:
In CATALINA_HOME:
* bin - Startup and shutdown scripts
The following files will be used only if they are absent in
CATALINA_BASE/bin:
setenv.sh (*nix), setenv.bat (Windows), tomcat-juli.jar
But, thanks for pointing out that if I don't need a specialized
tomcat-juli.jar, it's OK to not copy to CATALINA_BASE.
It will make upgrades for my 100+ instances easier from now on.
Jeff