On 27/04/17 20:08, John Cartwright - NOAA Federal wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Mark!  My sysadmin tells me just that we're
> using "the defaults" for event_mpm.  However we are still using the
> BIO AJP connector:
>
> <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443"
>                 maxThreads="300" minSpareThreads="25"
> maxSpareThreads="75" connectionTimeout="20000"/>
>
> Is there a way I can tell from the Tomcat side when there is thread
> starvation?

You'd need to look at the number of active connections. If it gets to
300 then you likely have a problem.

netstat might be the least invasive way of doing that. Other options
include the Manager app, JMX and thread dumps.

Switching to NIO will allow you to server more connections with the same
number of threads.

Mark