I believe I am having an issue with getting the ROOT context from a different
app context. This was working in 8.0.14, but no longer works in 8.0.43.

Root context exists and (includes crossContext=true in conf/context.xml)

Within Context: /app1

public class CrossContextExample {

    private ServletContext app1Context;

    public someMethod() {
        ServletContext rootContext = this.app1Context.getContext("/");
        // rootContext == null :( Used to be the ServletContext of ROOT
    }
}

I think this came as a result of  this change
<https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/tc8.0.x/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/core/ApplicationContext.java?r1=1636341&r2=1642698>

by markt?