Hi all,

I got asked in the corridor at TomcatCon earlier today what the relative performance of the TLS handshake was with 8.5.x, the NIO connector and JSSE vs OpenSSL TLS implementation.

This might be something that is of interest to a wider audience so here goes...

The following results are very rough and ready and generated with my (slightly aging now) laptop (4 cores).

I tested trunk but the code is close enough to 8.5.x for this purpose.

I used exacty the same config for each test. The only change was to add/remove the tc-native library to enable/disable OpenSSL.

Tested with:
ab -n 1000 -c 2 -f TLS1.2 -Z ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 https://localhost:8443/test.txt

test.txt is a 3 byte text file.

The results were:
JSSE:    17 reqs/sec
OpenSSL: 23 reqs/sec

So around a 35% increase.

JRE: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)
OpenSSL: 1.0.2k

YMMV with different versions of TLS and associated ciphers, JREs, OpenSSl versions etc.

HTH,

Mark