On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 9:25 PM, Israel Timoteo <itimo...@me.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My environment is Tomcat 8.5.12, Java 1.8.0_112 running on macOS 10.12 and
> planning to update Tomcat to 8.5.15.
>
> I’m wondering if I can get comments from the community for my questions
> below?
>

> 1) What tools is the community using for simultaneous applications
> deployment on several servers, let’s say more than 20?
>
> 2) Would having the logs located outside of the Tomcat home directory, if
> possible, affect Tomcat operation?
>
> 3) Are there any recommendations/best practices for installing and running
> Tomcat 8.5.15 on macOS 10.12?

On #2 and #3, setup up separate CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE directories
as described in RUNNING.txt. This will keep logs out of CATALINA_HOME and
make upgrading to new releases of Tomcat fairly easy.

My Macs aren't production, so you may need to adapt this. I unpack Tomcat
releases to /Library/Tomcat. I remove all but ./bin and ./lib, and rename
./conf to ./conf-ORIG. I diff this ./conf-ORIG with the ./conf-ORIG from
the last release, making tweaks to my $CATALINA_BASE/conf files as
required. Then I create a link

    $ cd /Library/Tomcat
    $ tar zxvf ~/Downloads/apache-tomcat-8.5.11.tar.gz
... // remove subdirectories...
    $ rm catalina
    $ ln -s /Library/Tomcat/apache-tomcat-8.5.11 catalina

and in ~/.bash_profile `export CATALINA_HOME=/Library/Tomcat/catalina` (I
also set CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE in my org.apache.tomcat plist).
Now restart Tomcat.

> 4) Is JAVA_OPTS required?
>

> Thanks for your comments.
>
> Israel