Chris,

> Mark,
>
> On 5/21/17 8:34 PM, Mark Eggers wrote:
>> I developed my own [build and deployment scripts]. I use the Ant
>> scripts just for customizing Tomcat installations.> I do have one
>> slight issue with my current Ant scripts. The link task isn't
>> supposed to create a link if it already exists, but it does, and
>> actually creates a link inside of the existing link. This means
>> that I have a manual cleanup step to do, which is annoying.
>
>> Also, the Ant xml task doesn't handle namespaces well. I'll have
>> to figure out how to mangle tomcat-users.xml in a better fashion
>> for the 8.x series.
>
> Which XML task? We use XSLT to for example customize the manager.xml
> deployment file that comes with a stock Tomcat to deploy a manager
> with our protections enabled.
>
>> I use a custom-built init script for starting, stopping, querying,
>> and getting the version of a Tomcat services. I'll have to build
>> something soon to handle systemd.
>
>> I use Maven, the Tomcat Maven plugin, and Jenkins to customize a
>> WAR file for a particular environment. Coupled with parallel
>> deployments, this basically allows us to update with no downtime.
>
> Nice!
>
> I'd love to see a TomcatCon presentation from the community about
> blue/green deployments with Tomcat. :)
>
> -chris

I use the following for XML editing in Ant:

http://www.oopsconsultancy.com/software/xmltask/

It does a lot of nice things, but there are two issues.

1. It's old - has not been released since 2009
2. Namespace handling - it's an acknowledged issue

I'll try the xslt task and see if I can get the same functionality with
a little effort.

My current setup depends on a lot of things that are either broken
(security issues with a Jenkins plugin) or not available (Nexus 3 no
longer has a REST interface, but it's coming RSN).

I should get involved to see how much effort it would be to a) help
address the security concerns, and b) expose in Nexus 3 the information
needed.

It would also be nice to set this up with other Maven repositories as
well as other CI environments.

True blue-green deployments would take some additional work, but that's
not beyond the realm of possibility. I might spend some time doing this
with Elastic Beanstalk, since $work wishes to move to AWS.

. . . just my (beleaguered) two cents
/mde/