From: Olaf Kock [mailto:tom...@olafkock.de]
Sent: 31 May 2017 16:38
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: [External] Re: Security Headers Implementation in Tomcat 6.x version

Am 29.05.2017 um 13:34 schrieb Shaik, Mohammad N.:
> Hello Olaf,
>
> Thanks for your response!
>
> Based on your inputs, we are thinking to put Apache httpd in front of Tomcat
> 6 server, since our header configuration is going to be static.
>
> Can you please help us in identifying which version of Apache HTTP Server we
> can use for Tomcat 6 version? Also, it will be great if you can share some
> guidelines on how to implement Apache in front of Tomcat.

For completeness sake I'd like to answer a few of these questions, rather
briefly. It seems that you're deep into implementing Christopher's solution of
compiling the newer filters for Tomcat 6.

Every current Apache httpd is fine, no version restriction. Especially:
Choose one that will get updates for quite a while, not like the outdated
Tomcat version you're running. Read on mod_proxy, mod_proxy_ajp, mod_jk and
mod_proxy_http, which are all keywords on the connection between Apache and
tomcat. Once you've set this up, setting the headers is a matter of adding the
"Header" directive to httpd's configuration. I understand though, that setting
up the connection can be some task if you've never done that. Especially if
you're using https, and also refer to it in your webapp's code (e.g. to
validate client certs) - but as you give no clue you're doing that, I'm
assuming you don't and the setup would be easy.

Anyway, feel free to utilize the newer code - I just wanted this information to
be in this thread as well. However, once you're done with
it: Utilize even more newer code and prepare to migrate away from your
discontinued tomcat version.

Olaf

proprietary, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received it in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other
use of the e-mail by you is prohibited. Where allowed by local law, electronic
communications with Accenture and its affiliates, including e-mail and instant
messaging (including content), may be scanned by our systems for the purposes
of information security and assessment of internal compliance with Accenture
policy.