On 8/2/17, 11:26 AM, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
On 8/2/2017 11:13 AM, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
I've just got finished moving a Tomcat instance's HTTPS connector from
8443 to 443, on a Google Compute Engine Debian instance (from
Bitnami's canned Trac image). Something I've done literally dozens of
times on AS/400s, along with the occasional WinDoze and Linux box.
Always without incident. Until now. I move it, do a "service tomcat7
restart," and the port doesn't open.

I already moved the Apache 2 server's HTTPS port to a different port
number, where it's working perfectly. There is nothing else listening
on 443, and Apache 2 and Tomcat are operating independently of each
other.

Binding on ports < 1024 on Linux require elevated permissions, no?

If so, somebody please elaborate.

It currently seems to be running under a user called "tomcat7." By contrast, the one we've got running on a local CentOS box runs under root. (The installation on the Google Debian instance was via an apt-get, and it put things in places other than where I was expecting them to be, so why should I be surprised that it runs under a different user than I was expecting?)

Any suggestions on what to do about it?

--
JHHL

--