I am migrating from 7 (yum repo installation) to 8.5 (direct from
apache) and looking to improve configuration where possible.

Currently (on *nix) I have a machine that runs sandboxes for my
domain, call them sb1.dom.com and sb2.dom.com. They each have their
own (system) user and in tomcat's system.xml I have a host for each :

<Host name="sb1.dom.com" appBase="/home/sandbox1/webapps" ... />

<Host name="sb2.dom.com" appBase="/home/sandbox2/webapps" .... />

Each has access to the host-manager app via a hardlink to manager.xml
through /usr/share/tomcat/conf/Catalina/${hostname}/manager.xml. Each
user belongs to the tomcat group, and has their webapps directory
group readable so Tomcat can deploy the apps. Each host may have
multiple contexts within it representing code branches. The env
variables have CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE pointing to
/usr/share/tomcat.

Reading RUNNING.txt, it says that HOME and BASE can point to different
locations for a multi-user environment, which sounds like what I am
doing. How do I go about configuring it this way?

Assume I put the tomcat installation in /usr/local, with a symlink
from /usr/local/tomcat to /usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-${version}

Would it be better to put the webapps for each user under
/usr/local/tomcat/webapps and symlink to them from the users home
directory? What would the structure look like and what would I set
CATALINA_BASE and CATALINA_HOME to?

What about file/directory permissions, assuming tomcat is running
under the 'tomcat' user? I have root access to the machine, so
changing groups, users, permissions is not an issue.

Thanks