John Ellis

405.285.2500 office

http://biz-e.io

-----Original Message-----
From: Terence M. Bandoian [mailto:tere...@tmbsw.com]
Sent: Monday, October 9, 2017 4:49 PM
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Tomcat SSL issue

On 10/9/2017 10:01 AM, John Ellis wrote:

> I posted questions about this a couple of weeks ago I think it was. I
> have been trying to get Tomcat running on a secure port with a valid
> SSL certificate. We finally got version 9.0.0.M20 setup successfully
> on port 9443 and I can go to that IP:port and get a Tomcat webpage but
> when I go through all the steps using the keytool commands to submit a
> certificate (we use Cacert.org) and try to plug that certificate into
> the mix it doesn’t work. I still get an error message telling me that
> I will have to create an exception to go to that IP address and port.
> Last Friday I even deleted the certificate and all the keystore file,
> etc. and got the same exact error. So it appears that Tomcat is not
> seeing the certificate at all since I get the same error about having
> to add an exception whether or not I have a valid certificate in place
> on the server.
>
> The lines we added to the server.xml file to get the secure port
> working are-
>
> <Connector port="9443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
>
>             maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true"
>
> clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS"

keystoreFile="/home/tomcat9.0.0.M20/apache-tomcat-9.0.0.M20/conf/keystore.jk
s"

>        keystorePass="changeit" />
>
> John Ellis
>
>Thanks for the reply Terence. Yes I get the message about needing to create
a security exception when I first try to open the Tomcat webpage on the
secure port of 9443. I have deleted the certificate and supporting files off
of the server as I was going to start over with a new certificate. I believe
the error said something about not being able to verify the certificate. I
think the main issue is that this is just an internal server here in our
office running RHEL 6. It is not setup as a web server and it just has the
name of "cowboy" (given that name by my boss) so it is hard to figure out
what to call the "First and last name" part when I am creating the CSR to
send to Cacert.org. I can't just use the name "cowboy" as I don't have any
way to validate that. Have you ever run into situations like this? As I said
before I am not a programmer or developer or anything like that. My
background was in computer hardware for over 25 years until I took this
position after being laid off from what was formerly WebMD. We installed
systems in dr's offices, etc. Any light you could shed on this would be
great!
Thanks

Hi, John-

Is it a browser that's displaying the error message and requesting that you
create an exception to continue?  If so, have you looked at the additional
information to determine what problems the browser has detected with the
certificate?

-Terence Bandoian
  http://www.tmbsw.com/