Mark,

On 10/26/17 8:54 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 26/10/2017 09:31, Johan Compagner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> now with LetsCrypt its easy (and free) to get https up and
>> running even if you just use tomcat But the problem is those
>> certificate must be renewed every 3 months This is easy to do in
>> a crontab script (that does the renew and makes a java keystore
>> again) So i can generate the pfx constantly just fine
>>
>> But does tomcat monitor that file for changes and will it then
>> use the new one without restarting the whole server?
>
> Currently, no.
>
> We have just added the ability to 9.0.x and 8.5.x to reload the
> certificate file on the fly.

Can you point me to some specific commits that implement that? I've
been dragging my feet on the work to reload *everything* and if the
cert-reloading has already been done, then it seems that most -- if
not all -- the work I expected to do is already done.

One of the reasons I hadn't done it yet was because I wasn't sure
about which of the many Tomcat components should warehouse that
code... there are so many layers and I don't understand exactly which
ones are responsible for what things.

Do these patches include replacing the SSLContext, or only the key
material that is being used for the handshake for an existing SSLContext
?

> It should be relatively easy to add a component that watches for
> changes to the cert file (or any of the other files) and trigger a
> reload as required. I suggest opening an enhancement request in
> Bugzilla.

+1