Rune,

On 11/24/17 7:53 AM, Rune Rustand wrote:
> Apache Tomcat 8.5.23 Redhat Enterprise Linux 7.4
> (3.10.0-693.1.1.el7.x86_64)
>

> Binary distributions tar archive
>
> We are upgrading our servers from Tomcat 8.0 to Tomcat 8.5, and are
> using the core archive. The process is done by running a puppet
> script that extracts the tar archive on all the servers (many).
>
> Are there any reasons why the file and directory permissions differ
> from the tar archive and the zip archive?

Good question. Evidently, both Info-Zip (the 'unzip' program usually
found on *NIX-based systems) and Apache Ant understand the
Info-Zip-specified extension to the ZIP format that encodes file
permissions and both ought to respect them when both packing and
unpacking the archive[1].

I don't know enough about the ZIP file format to be able to inspect
the archive to determine what's actually stored in there (to determine
if the archive lacks the permissions or if the extraction process is
at fault).

> When I unpack the tar archive the permissions on files and
> directories are not set for all users.
>
> I unpack the archive like this: tar zxvpf
> apache-tomcat-8.5.23.tar.gz
>
> [snip]
>
> For the zip file: unzip apache-tomcat-8.5.23.zip
>
> [snip]

Hmm. Those definitely *should be* producing the same file
permissions... at least, I'd expect them to produce the same file
permissions.

I don't see any (missing) options to Apache ant's <zip> task that look
like they would strip those file permissions. I also don't see any
options for (Info-Zip) unzip that would be required to restore such
permissions.

IMHO, this should Just Work.

- -chris

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_(file_format)#Implementation