Sean,

(Thanks for moving to the mailing list; it's a much better forum for
getting into a protracted discussion. See below for more, inline.)

On 1/10/18 9:08 AM, Sean Brett wrote:
> I've been tasked with migrating a site from one institution to
> another. As part of the process we are attempting to update the
> versions the site uses.
>
> Initially I was asked to use Java 8 with Tomcat 5.5 (on Linux),
> which led to issues - not to mention Tomcat 5 being 'out of
> supportĀ¹.  I have since tried to deploy the webapps to Tomcat 9
> with Java 8. Some of the webapps appear to run fine (and resolve
> the issues I was having with Tomcat5). However, the main app (and 2
> similar/smaller web apps) throws a JasperException when I go to the
> index.jsp - the same web apps deployed to Tomcat 5.5 load without
> issue.

Moving to a later Tomcat version is best. We'll help you figure out
these issues so you can use a current version and be better-equipped
to stay current into the future.

> Most of the similar issues I have found have suggested this would
> be related to the jar files and possibly some sort of conflict.
> However, the lib structure for tomcat 9 is different to tomcat5 and
> I'm not sure which jars could be causing this. e.g.
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22552244/tomcat-7-fails-to-compile
- -jsp-

pages

JAR files might conflict, but that depends upon what you have done so
far. Easy questions:

1. Have you added anything to Tomcat's lib/ directory (that would be
CATALINA_HOME/lib or CATALINA_BASE/lib -- or both) after installing
Tomcat 8/9?

2. What JAR files are bundled with your application in WEB-INF/lib ?

> I've also tried changing the index.jsp into a simpler (HelloWorld)
> form - removing any code. And tried deleting the 'work' directory
> before restarting Tomcat
> (http://grokbase.com/t/tomcat/users/072v2kf60h/java-permission-denied-
error

- -in-tomcat).  In both cases the exception is still thrown.

Can you post the full text of HelloWorld.jsp?

I'm wondering if you have some odd syntax or are expecting to use a
"custom base JSP servlet class" or something like that which is no
longer compatible with Tomcat's current JSP servlet. If so, we'll try
to figure out why the custom code was necessary and make arrangements
to replace it.