We had a similar problem.  We moved the properties files into the
common/classes/<<app-path>> or
shared/classes/<<app-path>>.  This way the properties files can be
changed in a production system without redeployment.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/23/06 10:46 AM >>>
I have a fairly normal application that I am deploying on a tomcat 5.5
server.

My application uses log4j for its internal logging and I have a
log4j.properties file that I keep in web/WEB-INF/classes.  I also have a
regular app.properties file that I keep in web/WEB-INF.

I deploy my application to my tomcat server by placing app.war in the
proper directory.

My question is if I am running my application on 4 or 5 different tomcat
servers and toe log4j.properties and app.properties file needs to be set
up different on each server what is the best way to deploy and maintain
those files?  I very much want to create a single app.war file and let
each system administrator customer there properties without needing to
synchronize with me.

Any advice is appreciated.