I have a Filter that uses the output stream from the response of the
servlet in the chain.  In order to do this I create a custom response
wrapper that has a custom servlet output stream.

This works fine, but in moving to a newer Java EE API there have been a
couple new (abstract) methods added to servlet output stream, and my
application needs to (unfortunately) work in both Tomcat 7 and Tomcat 8+.

So, is there any other way to capture the response output stream that
doesn't rely on this?  If not, any recommendations on how to straddle these
tomcat/java versions?

The only thing I can think of, but haven't tried, is to compile against
Tomcat 7, but run that application in Tomcat 8+.

Thanks!