So I believe i have a resolution for this issue (still undergoing
additional testing). I hate SSL by the way. After exhaustive scanning of
the java.net.debug logs i came up with nothing. 0 hints to the problem. I
tried with browsers and java http clients and all of them ended with a
socket exception (unexpected end of file). Did i mention i'm using the
windows variant of tomcat 8.5.28? On a whim, I asked a coworker who has
been using tomcat for quite some time. He suggested that issue may be
related to OpenSSL. After checking the configs and reading the docs here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/ssl-howto.html#Edit_the_Tomcat_Configuration_File
for my setup, it was defaulting to use open ssl since it was not defined in
the config file. After changing the JSSEImplementation my problems appear
to be sorted. Literally 3 months trying to solve this one. Whatever version
of open ssl that comes with the windows build of tomcat has something wrong
with it.