OK,

Really simple/stupid question...why not use the Tomcat Manager to do this? You can have the controlling webapp open a url to the manager and have the controlling webapp pass a start/stop on the other webapp.

Not sure if you looked at it or not, but had to ask. Here is a link for the manager: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/manager-howto.html#Supported%20Manager%20Commands

Shimol Shah wrote:
Hi all,

As I have also mentioned in one of my previous emails, I want to start/stop
a web application from another webapplication. In my efforts to achieve
this, I came across ManagerServlet. All my efforts to bring the similar
functions in my web-app failed.

So I went through the Tomcat API docs and found that it mentions that
ContainerServlet (which is implemented by ManagerServlet) is loaded by
Catalina class loader and not the standard web application class loader.
Thinking that it might be the issue that my application residing under
web-apps and not a part of the server folder, restricts its use of Catalina class loader, I moved the web app folder to server\webapps. That didn't help
too.

After that, I put only one servlet which implements ContainerServlet from my
web-app to Manager webapp under /server/lib/webapps/manager/WEB-INF/lib,
where it started working without any other issues. I assume this is working before manager application has some special privileges to use Catalina class
loader either by some descriptor or by other means.

So it would really be helpful if anybody can give me some starting pointers where I can look for to find out how to change the class loader for the web apps so that I can keep using my webapp and can establish control over other
web-application.

And also on a side note, I would be thankfule if anybody can point me to any
other existant ways to control other webapps from one web app.

My primary purpose to establish control over other webapps is because my
product is running with different components running as different web apps
and I want to create a management webapp that controls them.

Any help is sincerely appreciated,

Thanks,
Shimol.

--