Hi Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Huber [mailto:gregh3...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2018 4:53 AM
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: Tomcat 9 ;jsessionid

> Hello,
>
> One thing I have noticed with Tomcat 9.0.x I get alot
> ;jsessionid=xxx appended to my urls.  This did not happen with 8.5.x.
>
> /images/image_32x32.png;jsessionid=BF27C604B287CCF6DF3DBDB180C2CBEB
>
>  500 Internal Server Error
>       /images/image_32x32.png;jsessionid= ... 23784378307846F: 1 Time(s)
>       /images/image_32x32.png;jsessionid= ... 85D9B02C5A030FF: 1 Time(s)
>
> From previous experience this happens when there is no session.
> I use struts and have used encode="false" on the tags to prevent this:
>
> <s:url value="/" encode="false" />
>
> Also I have used (in the past) <%@ page session="false" %> but have
> commented this out as it causes down stream problems for me.
>
> Would there be a reason why these has now started happening on 9?
>
> Cheers Greg

A while ago we had problems in TC6 with new sessions being created for each
image.  The issue was that there was an invalid character, underscore "_", in
the URL.  I can't remember if Internet Explorer was acting weird(er) or if that
was expected TC behavior for an invalid URL.

Also, Chris Shultz mentioned that jsessionid appended to the URL can mean that
cookies are not being used.

Might your problem be more than one issue combined?

--
Cris Berneburg
CACI Lead Software Engineer