Ok, thanks for the clarification and of course there are multiple ways
to solve this; I just ran in to problems since the behaviour seemed to
have changed between the versions but I've upgrade the whole stack
from OS to java to tomcat so its was hard to isolate the change and I
made the wrong assumption that the CWD was set to CATALINA_BASE. With
your information I got to the root of why the CWD has changed to '/'
and it was a simple as I had not set a home dir for the tomcat9 user
and thus the user-dir was automatically set to '/' when the
systemd-script started tomcat as the tomcat9 user..

Br,
Kalle