Good Evening All-

The best way is to put up a Jsp / servlet which itself has the username/password information to let you behind the firewall There are a ton of https and firewalls you can install and configure to your hearts content But none would be more secure and safe than controlling authentication (a simple username/password) via the servlet Remember to tell .htaccces to disallow execute write and pretty much read permissions on everything except for your username/password screen

Martin --

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Caron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:01 PM
Subject: Programmatic Security

I need to implement fine-grained security access, so it looks to me like "Programmatic Security" (Servlet spec 12.3) is called for. I want to recieve the request in my servlet, then decide what access rights are needed for it.

In this case, if I understand correctly, the "user must already be authenticated" means that they have tried to access a Tomcat-protected page (eg a login page), have been successfully authenticated by Tomcat, and further requests are returning the JSESSION cookie that was assigned during authentication.

Is that right? Is there some other way the req.getRemoteUser() could return non-null?

Is there some way that I can programatically trigger Tomcat to initiate the authentication process?
Thanks for any help...