Giovane Moura wrote:
Hello,

I'm using Muse/Tomcat/Apache on a Linux box (slackware 10.2)  in order to
run my Web service.

And now I need to do a performance test on my Web Service and find out some
things:

1. How much memory does my web service consume?Can I measure it with Tomcat
Manager? Or Via JMX? What's the best way?
(A) Tomcat manager gives the heap usage figure. I do not think you can get the individual application heap usage from there. (not required also) (B) Nothing like best way, JMX beans may expose more properties and that could be convenient. like when i use MC4J , i can see number of threads, JVM heap usage and bunch of other things in one place. (c) on linux box, you can try vmstat to see overall memory usage. main thing is you should not be swapping at any point. (d) GC data is something you should be interested in. you can use jstat or visualGC.

2. How much processing time is it using? If I change my workload on this Web
service, how my entire will be affected?

again , no clear cut winning approach. you can get CPU loads from top/vmstat if you are interested in the overall picture. if you are interested in checking out method times etc. you would need a profiling tool. There is one eclipse plugin that gives you profiling data.

In order to do that, I tried several aproaches, none yet sucessful.
Can you tell me what's the best & faster way to achieve it, and how to do
that? Is there any good documentation?

Lets put a document in place ;o)
So I would like to know the best way to get this information.

Thank you so much

Giovane