Louis,

On 8/2/18 3:58 PM, Louis Zipes wrote:
> Hi All, I'm trying to enable JMX monitoring using Tomcat 7.0.54.
> Turning on the JMX monitoring is not the problem. To do this I
> added the following to the Apache Tomcat 7.0 Properties 'JAVA' tab
> GUI Window, which opens up when you run 'TOMCAT7w.exe //ES/<service
> name>', and it works in that JMX can monitor it.
>
> -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=localhost
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8555
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=<hostname>

Congratulations on getting that working. Sometimes it can be a pain to
get JMX working.

FWIW, I always recommend using the JMX Proxy Servlet[1] because (a)
you don't have to set up a remote-JMX port and (b) deal with the poor
authentication support and (c) launch a whole JVM process just to take
a quick sample.

> The problem is that when I go to STOP the Service it gives me the
> following error
>
> Error: Exception thrown by the agent :
> java.rmi.server.ExportException: Port already in use: 8555; nested
> exception is: java.net.BindException: Address already in use:
> JVM_Bind

Yuck.

When you say "stop the service" you just mean clicking the "stop
service" link in the management snap-in, right?

Hrm.

> I have to do a hard kill by either restarting the Appserver or
> doing SC QUERY which is not realistic
>
> I can find hits on the error message but the answers seem to
> relate to the need to set up JMX under CATALINA_OPTS.

Yeah, that's usually because someone is using the scripts like
catalina.sh (*NIX) or catalina.bat to launch (and stop) Tomcat and
they have used JAVA_OPTS (which are applied to all JVM launches) to
set those options instead of CATALINA_OPTS (which only applies to
starting Tomcat, not to stopping it, etc.).

> My issue is that I'm struggling to figure out how to set up
> CATALINA_OPTS that in Windows when starting Tomcat using a
> Service.

Ignore all that. When using the service, the environment variables are
not relevant (after creating the service).

> The solutions I find either are Linux (I'm Windows) or talks about
> setting up JMX with a setenv.bat OR catalina.bat files.
> However, from my research the catalina.bat and setenv files are
> ignored when you use a Windows Service.
Exactly.

> So my question is how do I do I set up CATALINA_OPTS parameter in
> Tomcat 7.0.54 when I'm using a Windows Service?

I'm surprised it's failing at all, honestly.

Can you confirm the following:

1. You only have a single Tomcat service defined.
2. It starts up just fine.
3. It only fails when trying to stop it.

Do you have any opportunities for upgrading to 7.0.latest?

- -chris

[1]
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/monitoring.html#Using_the_JMXPro
xyServlet