Hi Mark

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  :-)

cjb> Due to security concerns and general fussiness on my part, I'd like
cjb> to prevent users from requesting JSP pages directly [...].  That
cjb> way I can legitimately claim that all requests are being validated,
cjb> input scrubbed, JSP's cannot be taken advantage of w/o their
cjb> servlet chaperones being present, etc.

mt> I'm struggling to understand what risks exists with JSPs that don't
mt> with Servlets. After all, a JSP is just an alternative way to write
mt> a Servlet. Tomcat translates the .jsp file to the .java source for a
mt> servlet, compiles it and runs it.
mt> Can you elaborate?

See Chris Shultz's reply about MVC.  He pretty much nailed it.

For me, it's a twofold combination of (a) security concerns and (b) separation
of responsibilities.

a. Security - shrink the attack surface.

b. Separation of duties - I want the JSP's to simply render pages and the
non-JSP servlets to do all the heavy lifting.

--
Cris Berneburg, Lead Software Engineer
CACI, IRMA Project