I do not see one in either location. So I guess the admin just does the
update to the server.xml and then we need to handle the rest of the
configuration?

-----Original Message-----
From: Pid [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 9:55 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.5 JNDI Question Using Admin

You need a ResourceLink in the Host or Context, to make the global
resource available.

Does the Context xml file contain this?

Scott Purcell wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am receiving errors when configuring a JNDI resource for my database
> using Tomcat 5.5 on a Windoz box. I used the admin interface and
entered
> the following data:
>
> in admin screen
>
> under  Data Sources
>
> JNDI Name= jdbc/BuilderDB
>
> Driver com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
>
> Data Source URL=jdbc:mysql://localhost/builder
>
> JDBC Driver Class=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
>

> Then I made sure my driver was in
>
> common/lib/mysql-connector-java-3.1.12
>

> Then went to the web.xml file added my resource
>
> web.xml
>
>   <resource-ref>
>       <description>DB Connection</description>
>       <res-ref-name>jdbc/BuilderDB</res-ref-name>
>       <res-type>javax.sql.DataSource</res-type>
>       <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
>   </resource-ref>
>

> After committing the change in the admin module, it updated the
> server.xml and added this the <Resource (see below).
>
> When I try and get a jndi connection doing a lookup, I get this error
> (see below).
>

> As I read the docs for 5.5, and I do not see any examples. Does anyone
> see any problems with this, or know what may cause this error?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Scott
>

> error
>
> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC
> driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'
>  at

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSo
> urce.java:780)
>  at

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSourc
> e.java:540)
>  at foo.DBTest.init(DBTest.java:23)
>  at org.apache.jsp.test_jsp._jspService(test_jsp.java:51)
>  at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
>  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
>  at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
> va:332)
>  at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
>  at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
>  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
>  at

> tionFilterChain.java:252)
>  at

> erChain.java:173)
>  at

com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.
> java:142)
>

> Server.xml
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <Server>
>   <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener"/>
>   <Listener

className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"/
>   <Listener

className="org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreConfigLifecycleListener"