On 08/10/18 21:55, Michael Yoder wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 12:50 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>> CVE-2018-11784 Apache Tomcat - Open Redirect
>
> Is it possible to get more information on the "specially crafted URL"?
>  I'd like more information so that I can test if some of our apps are
> vulnerable.

Generally, there is a balance to strike here between making it easy for
the less technically competent attackers to construct an attack and
making it easy for end users to figure out if they are vulnerable. The
way we typically do this is by describing the conditions necessary for
an attack to be possible as completely as possible but not providing
details of how to perform an attack.

We also provide references to the commit that fixed the issue. For
someone with the right skills, there is usually enough information in
the description and the commit for a successful attack to be reverse
engineered.

> In addition, I'd like to verify that the value of
> mapperContextRootRedirectEnabled defaults to "true",

For the latest release of each supported Tomcat version, that is
correct. Historically, that is version dependent. Check the docs for the
version you are using.

> so if we don't
> alter that value we aren't susceptible?

Incorrect. As per the announcement both mapperDirectoryRedirectEnabled
and mapperContextRootRedirectEnabled need to be true to avoid this
vulnerability if you are not using a fixed version.

The default for mapperDirectoryRedirectEnabled is false.

Mark