I have several webapps that do a significant amount of recursive loads of snippits of HTML utilizing XHR/http/ajax requests. These apps are all debugged and in production.   The server has no problem whatsoever in keeping up with the multiple concurrent requests.  However, the open-connection limits on the browsers that block more than 6 concurrent connections to a server is killing me in performance.

I've been looking into WebSockets which I understand does not incur the wrath of the browsers when I have a need for more than 6 concurrent connections.   I have no problem making a move to WebSockets if that will indeed help performance.  However, I have literally many hundreds of JSPs that are coded, tested, and working.  So I'd like to minimize the rip-up to the JSPs.

I've googled around trying to find answers about how (if) I can invoke JSPs via WebSockets.  From what I can tell, it appears it's possible.  But no straightforward explanation.   A WebSocket servlet extends "WebSocketServlet", correct?  But JSPs extend HTTPServlet, at least by default, correct.  So that seems like an fairly big immediate problem.

Do I need to do some gyrations like writing a WebSocket router servlet object that turns around and creates/invokes a normal http call to invoke the desired JSP?  (BTW... I don't need any of the bi-directional capabilities of WebSockets currently.... simply an "http emulator" functionality for now).

I guess I could get multiple IP addresses for the server and set up multiple secondary domain names to 'fool' the browsers into thinking the requests aren't all going to the same server thereby getting 6 requests per 'server'.  But at best that's a total hack, and not an inviting solution.

Any other suggestions (short of changing up the architecture to no longer require multiple concurrent loads)  will be welcomed. Likewise, and corrections to any errant assumptions I have made so far are also welcome.

Thx.

Jerry