Will,

Are you truly being asked to switch to 2FA?  What is the additional factor?
Like others have said, supplying something like a code from an RSA token sounds
exceptionally difficult, however that's not the only possibility.   You
mentioned a certificate, so I'm wondering whether you're really being asked to
do mutual authentication, which involves a certificate, but is not as hard as
actual 2FA.

Also, I assume you have some code that consumes those params from your web.xml.
 If so, then you might have some flexibility to change the code to do some
other form of authentication.

John