Actually, there's a small correction to my session persistence description
from before.   From the doc I referenced here:

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/manager.html#Special_Features

It says:

> Whenever Apache Tomcat is shut down normally and restarted, or when an
application reload is triggered, the ... All such saved sessions will then
be deserialized and activated ...

But here's what I'm finding:

 * if the application is restarted then the session and its contents are
maintained as expected

 * if the application is undeployed and redeployed (while the server
remains running) a new session is silently generated, and any contents
disappear, but the user maintains her authentication

 * if the server is shut down and restarted then everything seems to
disappear, as I then get a 403 when trying to access the protected page

Again, this isn't consistent with the documentation, so not sure what I'm
doing wrong.

Thanks-
Robert