On 07.11.2018 13:33, Berneburg, Cris J. - US wrote:
Thanks Mark

cjb> I upgraded Java from 8u181 to 8u191 on our dev (JDK) and test (JRE)
cjb> Windows 2012 servers today.  After doing so, the Tomcat 8.5(.32)
cjb> Windows services would no longer start.  Removing and re-adding
cjb> the service fixed the service.  I don't remember having to re-install
cjb> the TC Windows services after upgrading Java previously.  Is that normal?

mt> It is one way to fix the problem. You need to reconfigure where the
mt> service looks for the JRE. Normally you'd do that with Tomcat[7|8|9]w.exe

Wow, I actually did not know that.  I feel a bit embarrassed not knowing something that
basic.  Did you notice my ApacheCon badge?  "Tomcat Newbie".  :-)

Then again, why doesn't the service just use the JAVA_HOME or JRE_HOME
environment vars?  Is that so there can be multiple services running with
different versions of Java simultaneously?

Basically yes.  Each service also picks up many other arguments there.
For a complete explanation, I recommend :
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Windows#Q11
(disclaimer : I get bonus points each time someone reads that)

--
Cris Berneburg
CACI Lead Software Engineer