Tim,

On 11/20/18 13:36, Tim K wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018, 12:19 PM Christopher Schultz <
> ch...@christopherschultz.net wrote:
>
> Tim,

ml#org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.EncryptInterceptor_Attr
> <http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/cluster-interceptor.ht
ml#org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.EncryptInterceptor_Attr

ibutes

> Mark

> Each node in the cluster needs an interceptor configured, like
> this:
>
> <Interceptor
> className="org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.EncryptInterc
ep

tor"
> encryptionKey="[the key]" />
>
> All nodes need the same key. The default algorithm
> (AES/CBC/PKCS12Padding) is sufficient.
>
> To generate a key, just get some random garbage and convert it
> into hex, like this:
>
> $ dd if=/dev/urandom bs=128 count=1 2>/dev/null | md5
>
> That'll give you a 128-bit key you can use for encryption. You can
> also use a 256-bit key if you'd like, or a 192-bit key. For keys
> larger than 128 bite (32 bytes), you'll need to use a different
> signature algorithm such as sha1 or later.
>
> I just chose MD5 because it generates the right number of output
> characters for a 128-bit key. You can get your random key from
> anywhere, including pounding on the keyboard. Remember that the
> key must be in hex-encoded binary (so only characters 0-9 and
> a-f).
>
> -chris

> I tried this between 2 nodes but it fails with this error on each:
>
> dd if=/dev/urandom bs=128 count=1 2>/dev/null | md5sum
> e0f2cdf931e99fdce0453964294f97f3  -
>
> <Interceptor
> className="org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.EncryptInterc
eptor"

encryptionKey="e0f2cdf931e99fdce0453964294f97f3" />

> 20-Nov-2018 13:31:20.070 SEVERE
> [Tribes-Task-Receiver[Catalina-Channel]-1]
> org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.EncryptInterceptor.messa
geReceived

Failed to decrypt message

> javax.crypto.BadPaddingException: Given final block not properly
> padded. Such issues can arise if a bad key is used during
> decryption.

Both nodes have the same encryption key, right? The key itself looks
fine. For example, I dropped that key into the unit test file and it
worked as expected.

I've been working on a patch yesterday and today that uses random IVs
instead of re-using them. It really shouldn't change anything about
the config, etc. but both nodes will require the new code to re-test.
I've also expanded the unit tests to cover cipher block modes other
than CBC.

I don't actually have a cluster here for testing, though, so
everything is being done with the unit tests.

I thought I had reproduced your issue (BadPaddingException) except it
turned out that the test itself was wrong and the interceptor code was
correct.

Are you able to build from source? I'm about to commit these changes
to the trunk (9.0.x), which really shouldn't change anything for you,
but it might fix some edge case that you are hitting.