First of all, congratulations to Woonsan on his achievement!

My issue is that I'm running Tomcat 8.5.35/JDK 1.7 on Windows 2012 and I'm
stopping and starting it using Windows Service.  I have no problems starting
the Tomcat service and I also have no problems stopping the Tomcat service IF I
stop it that day.  However, if I leave it running for more than a day then I
can't stop it  (it goes into Stopping mode and then eventually times out).  I
realize that there are manual ways to kill it then but of course I want to
figure out the cause of it.  Note that since this is a lower environment, I
don't have a lot of background jobs running and when I look at the Jconsole it
doesn't look that 'bad'.  This was not a problem when I'm running the
application using Tomcat 7 on the same machine.  Obviously, I had to adopt the
service.bat and server.xml files to use in Tomcat 8 so maybe I accidently
deleted a key parameter but really, in the service.bat I just used the Xmx
parameter from Tomcat  and in server.xml

I know about thread dumps but some of those are 4 gig in size and hard to
analyze.  What I'm looking for from the experts here is the order of
troubleshooting operations and logs.

For example, I have the Tomcat logs and one log shows this:

19-Dec-2018 13:36:43.521 INFO [Thread-13]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.pause Pausing ProtocolHandler
["ajp-nio-8009"]
19-Dec-2018 13:36:43.549 INFO [Thread-13]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.stopInternal Stopping service
[Catalina]
19-Dec-2018 13:36:43.612 INFO [localhost-startStop-2]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.unload Waiting for [1] instance(s) to
be deallocated for Servlet [jsp]
19-Dec-2018 13:36:44.705 INFO [localhost-startStop-2]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.unload Waiting for [1] instance(s) to
be deallocated for Servlet [jsp]
19-Dec-2018 13:36:45.799 INFO [localhost-startStop-2]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.unload Waiting for [1] instance(s) to
be deallocated for Servlet [jsp]

Is this a real error message that is pointing to an issue.  Google is not clear.

Basically, what would be the order of operations to try to troubleshoot this
issue?  Do I stay within Tomcat, do I look to the Windows machine itself, do I
look to the JDK to see if there is problem?

Thanks, Louis

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is for intended addressee(s) only and may
contain information that is confidential, proprietary or exempt from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
immediately. Unauthorized use or distribution is prohibited and may be unlawful.