On 16/01/2019 11:59, Rahul Singh wrote:
> Hi Tomcat Team,
>
> Thanks for your always support and guidance !!
>
> In one of the web application Tomcat is migrated from V7.0.54 to V7.0.78.
> After update one phenomena is reported regarding JSP file compilation at run
> time.
>

> From stack trace analysis it is evident that JSP to JAVA compilation is
> surpassing the 65535 bytes limit.
>
> After analysis we have found some solution, but we would like to know in
> which version this change is introduced between Tomcat 7.0.54 and Tomcat
> 7.0.78. If possible we would like to know what changes has been done in
> tomcat that leads to this phenomena.

Generally, it is all related to tag handling and tag pooling.

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/changelog.html

7.0.71 - See Jasper section. Tag error handling. Added code.
7.0.74 - Bugs 60497 (added code)
7.0.76 - See Jasper section. Optimizations. Reduced code volume but
         cumulative effect was still an increase.

> JFYI, Same JSP was successfully executed and compiled in Tomcat 7.0.54. and
> no information is mentioned in changelogs and release notes related to this
> phenomena.

It is all in the change log. There are also quite a few references in
the archives of this mailing list around the time the change was introduced.

For future reference with similar issues, a diff between the Java source
code generated by 7.0.54 and that generated by 7.0.78 would have pointed
you in the right direction.

Mark