We have an application that runs on clustered Tomcat 8 servers, in three sub-clusters (Google Managed Instance Groups, with nodes running under Debian Stretch), all tied to a common load balancer. Each sub-cluster runs a different webapp.

To get to the sub-cluster running the main entry point, you would go to https://frobozz.example. To get to the one running the report processor, you would go to https://frobozz.example/reports. To get to the one running the auxiliary processor, you would go to https://frobozz.example/aux. The load balancer then routes the requests to the proper sub-cluster.

Because of the way things work with the load balancer, it expects to find the main entry point as the ROOT context of the main sub-cluster, and expects to find the other two as the "reports" context of the report cluster, and the "aux" context of the auxiliary cluster. There may be a way to configure the load balancer look for the root contexts on the report and auxiliary clusters, but if so, I haven't found it.

When I've tried to run Tomcat without a ROOT context, it fails to launch. And so, for the report and auxiliary clusters, the actual webapps are on their ROOT contexts, and the named contexts are links in the file system, pointing to the respective ROOT contexts. (I tried it the other way around, and it behaved exactly the same as if I'd had no ROOT context at all.)

Am I missing something?

--
JHHL