Hi!

I've some basic questions regarding the usage of log4j 1.2 in Tomcat 8.5.

We are running more than one web application in Tomcat. Each application uses
log4j via slf4j and ships the log4j.jar in WEB-INF/lib. The Tomcat itself uses
JULI.

We are using a common log4j.xml file for configuration.

The file path is set as system property in CATALINA_OPTS as follows:
-Dlog4j.configuration=/path/to/file/log4j.xml

1. Is this a valid setup or are there any side effects in initialization log4j
by the different WebAppClassLoaders?

2. We are observing weird things in rolling the files hourly. The timestamp of
the log messages doesn't fit to the timestamp suffix of the file. Why does this
happen?

Regards,
Thomas