On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 9:01 PM Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> On 3/12/19 14:39, Mark Thomas wrote:
> > On 12/03/2019 14:42, Christopher Schultz wrote:
> >> Joel,

> >> This must be a deployment script that is managed by neither the
> >> Tomcat project nor the Ubuntu package maintainers. You will need
> >> to update it.

> >> You are right; it isn't mentioned. That should be added to the
> >> migration guide.
> >
> > Is is practical to try and cover changes in file system layout for
> > distributions we don't control?
>
> No, but there is no mention of the classloader re-organization in the
> migration guide.
>
> Oh, hmm. The reason it's not in there, or in the Tomcat 7 migration
> guide... is because this change was made in Tomcat *6*, and it *is* in
> the migration guide... for Tomcat 6.
>
> So, never mind.
>
> For some reason, I thought this change was made more recently, but I
> guess not.
>
> Joel, it looks like your distribution was (still?) using that
> directory in Tomcat 7 even thought Tomcat hasn't shipped that way for
> ... a long time. I wonder if your deployment script was accomplishing
> anything by touching that directory in the first place.
>
> Okay, things are starting to make a bunch more sense now, thanks.

I think it was accomplishing something; tomcat7/common/lib/ contained a
bunch of .jar files that looked like standard Tomcat installation files
(tomcat7-websocket.jar, tomcat-catalina-7.0.68.jar, etc.).  If I switch
directories in the deployment script to tomcat8/lib/, which is empty, javac
complains that it can't find the files to compile.  It looks like I'm going
to need to go through /usr/share/java/ and find tomcat8 versions of all of
the .jar files in tomcat7/common/lib/ and symlink those to tomcat8/lib/,
unless someone knows a better way.

Thanks again!