Aadit,

On 4/9/19 15:19, Aadit Shah wrote:
> We have recently upgraded our software to utilize Tomcat 8.5.32
> from Tomcat 7.0.81. With the upgrade, we are seeing an increased
> amount of I/Os happening between the Tomcat Server and the DB.
Do you have Tomcat configured to handle user-authentication? Id not,
then Tomcat is not contacting your database at all.

> We are looking for help to understand the cause of the increased
> amount of I/Os and possible solutions to improve our software to
> get a workaround.
>
> Issue: Tomcat is one of the core components of our software. With
> 8.5.32 upgrade, due to the increased amount of I/Os, we are seeing
> a latency in our software. Due to the latency, the overall
> performance of the software has been degraded and the end users are
> seeing issues like
>
> - longer login times - longer wait time to load/reload the data.
>
> Troubleshooting: We ran a bunch of tests and confirmed that our
> packet captures show that 20x increase in the I/O operations
> between Tomcat 7.0.81 and 8.5.32.
Did you change your database driver version at the same time? What
about the application? Did the application change at all?

> Here’s the matrix which shows number of I/O we captured between
> different versions of Our Software version and Tomcat versions.
Your attachment and/or screenshot has been removed from the mailing
list. Please provide a text-only rendering in your follow-up post.

> Our Software Version
>
> Tomcat 7.0.81
>
> 8.5.32
>
> 18
>
> 200
>
> 23,000
>
> 19
>
> 1200
>
> 240,000

The above table didn't translate well. What is it supposed to be?

> Server Information: OS: Windows Server 2012 R2

Ouch. A 5-year-old abandoned Microsoft operating system? I hope you
pay a lot to your security provider for all the CYA you need.

> Java : JRE1.8.0.111 Initial Memory Pool: 512 MB Maximum Memory Pool
> : 1024 MB

Recommendation: set min and max to the same value. There is no
advantage to setting them to different values and some performance
advantages to setting them to the same value.

> Note: There are other software running on the server.
>
> DB Connection Configuration: Here’s how the connection from the
> Tomcat Server to DB Server look like:
>
> Tomcat 7.0.81:
>
> <Resource name="jdbc/heartbeatdb" auth="Container"
> type="javax.sql.DataSource" maxActive="200" maxIdle="30"
> maxWait="10000"
> driverClassName="com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver"
> url="jdbc:sqlserver://<Server>\<instance>;database=heartbeat;integrate
dSecurity=true"

validationQuery="SELECT 1"
> testWhileIdle="true" timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="3600000"
> numTestsPerEvictionRun="30" minEvictableIdleTimeMillis="14400000"
> removeAbandoned="true" removeAbandonedTimeout="300"
> logAbandoned="true"/>

200 connections is a lot of connections. How many concurrent requests
would you estimate that you actually handle at peak?

> Tomcat 8.5.32:
>
> <Resource name="jdbc/heartbeatdb" auth="Container"
> type="javax.sql.DataSource" maxTotal="200" maxIdle="30"
> maxWaitMillis="10000"
> driverClassName="com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver"
> url="jdbc:sqlserver://<Server>\<instance>;database=heartbeat;integrate
dSecurity=true"

testWhileIdle="true"
> validationQuery="SELECT 1" timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="3600000"
> numTestsPerEvictionRun="30" minEvictableIdleTimeMillis="14400000"
> removeAbandonedOnBorrow="true" removeAbandonedOnMaintenance="true"
> removeAbandonedTimeout="300" logAbandoned="true" />
>
> Let me know if you need more information from our side. We can
> also provide full server.xml configuration from both the versions
> of the software.
>
> We are new to Tomcat Support group, so let us know if this is the
> right way to request for help.
>
> If you want to learn more about our company, you can click the
> links in the signature.

Are you using Tomcat for container-managed authentication? That's not
clear from your configuration.