Richard,

On 6/22/19 17:19, Richard Huntrods wrote:
> Apologies if this is really basic, but I've seen two ways of
> handling https (SSL) for tomcat and don't understand the
> differences.
>
> The first example uses letsencrypt cert files 'in situ' (i.e. where
> they have been created). The second example uses the same files,
> but converted by a manual shell script into a single .keystore
> file, stored in ./tomcat/keys
>
> The thing I really don't understand is the different protocols
> used.
>
> Fair warning: the second example is something I've been using for
> a while, so it may be out of fashion even though it works. The
> first example is "brand new" that I got online and want to use
> mainly because it removes the manual conversion step from cert to
> .keystore.
>
> <Connector port="443"
> protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
> maxThreads="150" SSLEnabled="true"> <SSLHostConfig> <Certificate
> certificateFile="/etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.com/cert.pem"
> certificateKeyFile="/etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.com/privkey.pem"

certificateChainFile="/etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.com/chain.pem" />
> </SSLHostConfig>> </Connector>

The above style of configuration is preferred in Tomcat 8.5 and later.
for the reasons Giuseppe wrote in his post.

WARNING: you are referencing the files created by tools like certbot.
certbot places those files into a series of directories only
accessible by root. You are either making them available to a wider
audience (in which case you should just think whether that is a good
idea, or if your setup will be broken if/when certbot runs again and
"repairs" its directories) or you are running Tomcat as root. Both of
these are probably not a good idea.

Definitely don't run as root.

I might consider having your certbot wrapper copy the specific files
you need somewhere Tomcat can read them after they are re-generated by
certbot. That way, Tomcat can only access the files it actually needs
instead of having access to the whole LE directory.