Hi Mark,

thanks for your hint. I configured the the BasicAuthentication valve an my own
one in the following order in the server.xml document:

         <Host name="localhost"
            autoDeploy="false" deployOnStartup="false" deployXML="false">

            <Valve
className="de.tccproducts.valves.PenFrameworkAuthenticationValve" />

                <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.BasicAuthenticator" />

But unfortunately I get this exception starting the app server:

        at
        at
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.IntrospectionUtils.callMethod1(IntrospectionUtils.java:890)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetNextRule.end(SetNextRule.java:192)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule.end(Rule.java:228)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.endElement(Digester.java:1057)
[...]
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Configuration error:  Must be
attached to a Context
        at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.setContainer(AuthenticatorBase.java:258)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.addValve(StandardPipeline.java:435)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addValve(ContainerBase.java:1184)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Jochen