Are you using JSSE or OpenSSL for crypto?
JSSE. will there be any difference with openssl?
How are you measuring CPU usage?
using jconsole/jvisualvm

Have you tried to correlate that CPU usage with user-request load?
I am not sure if I understood the question, but I ran similar load for over
a week on my app with only http, cpu usage was quite less(<10%) where with
https, it was 20% for a day then jumped to 40% and then keeps growing.

Encryption isn't free, though modern CPUs are very good at optimizing it

Best
Sumit