Joseph,

On 7/25/19 11:53, Joseph Dornisch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a CRL configured in my tomcat server configuration. If I
> update it and want to have Tomcat refresh it, I can login into
> https://127.0.0.1/manager/html and click the "Re-read" button
> under "Configuration->Re-read TLS configuration files" and this
> causes my CRL to be reread. It works great.
>
> However,I have read here, "
> https://people.apache.org/~schultz/ApacheCon%20NA%202018/Let's%20Encry
pt%20Apache%20Tomcat.pdf"

on page 34 you can do basically the same thing with a command something
> like:
> https://localhost/manager/jmxproxy?invoke=Catalina%3Atype%3DProtocolHa
ndler%2Cport%3D8443%2Caddress%3D%22127.0.0.1%22&op=reloadSslHostConfigs

>  When I do this, I get back:
>
> Error - java.lang.NullPointerException
> java.lang.NullPointerException at
> org.apache.catalina.manager.JMXProxyServlet.invokeOperationInternal(JM
XProxyServlet.java:264)

What

is the port number and bind-address of your protocol handler?

> Is this command supposed to work in Tomcat 8.5.43? Is there a
> different command. Short of this, the only way to force reload
> without manual intervention seems to be to login to the manager
> from code, and then execute
> https://127.0.0.1/manager/html/sslReload?org.apache.catalina.filters.C
SRF_NONCE=

<nonce_value_from_established_session>

The URL you have above (if correct) is using the manager to do the
same thing using the JMX proxy that you are doing with the manager GUI.

> I've seen that I might also write some code that Tomcat itself
> would run periodically to refresh the SSL configuration. Could
> anyone provide any ideas here?

You can do it, but IMO it's better to trigger it externally, assuming
that you are already deploying the manager app and the JMX proxy servlet
.