Hello Alex,

Thank you for the extensive answer.

Q1: Are you sure that it is *exactly* the same ?
Yes the installation is done on the same PC with the same user principal for
the Tomcat service to log in .
The Tomcat 8 service is stopped during the Tomcat 9 test.
We had the exact same problem when installing in a test environment at one of
our Customer sites. Most of our customers that are using SSO with our
application are still using Tomcat 8 with no problems and all with the same
spnego config.
My colleague initially set up this Tomcat 9 installation using a few tomcat 9
versions ( .8 .20 and .24). I myself, reinstalled and configured Tomcat 9.024
from scratch, with no success and always the same results.

Q2: when "it does not work", does the browser popup a login dialog ?
Yes I have seen that one be not with the recent config.
Browser response :

Google Chrome
This site can't be reachedThe webpage at http://nlsl-decadetst:8787/apex42a/
might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_INVALID_RESPONSE

Internet Explorer 11:
Can't reach this page
.Make sure the web address http://nlsl-decadetst:8787 is correct
.Search for this site on Bing
.Refresh the page
More information  More information
The connection to the website was reset.
Error Code: INET_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE

(attachements the most recent stderr and stdout)

I know off Fiddler2 but never used it before, I will try to set that up...

Met vriendelijke groeten van
Heidi Leerink - Duverger
Technisch Consultant

In business for people.
Unit4 Business Software Netherlands B.V.
Papendorpseweg 100, 3710 BJ Utrecht, Netherlands
T  +31 88 247 1444
E  heidi.duver...@unit4.com
This message and any attachment(s) are intended only for the use of the named
recipient and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this
message from your system. Do not disclose the contents of this document to any
other persons. Violation of this notice may be unlawful. Please note that
internet communications are not secure and e-mails are susceptible to change.
Thank you for your cooperation.