Frankly I'd suggest moving to the latest JDK 5.0 release, 1.4.0 is a
pretty old and creaking version of the JVM really.  GC has undergone
huge changes in Sun's JVM from 1.4.0 to their current 1.5.0_06 release.

I also do wonder why you upgraded from tomcat 3 to tomcat 4.  Whats
wrong with tomcat 5?

Mark