Tony,

Yep.  I was wondering about that.  I have no idea why this behavior would be
different in Tomcat 9, though.  Did you change Java versions also?  Is the
classpath longer?

I also have no idea about the jar modification date changes that you're seeing.

I do have first-hand experience with the performance of
TransformerFactory.newInstance().  In general, anything that uses the service
locator under the covers, such as TransformerFactory, DocumentBuilderFactory,
etc, should be reused if possible.  Those XML factories are thread safe, though
the things created by the factories are typically not thread safe.  You should
create it once, configure it once, and use it as many times as necessary.  For
example, you would create one TransformerFactory, then call newTransformer() as
many times as necessary.

John