Emefile,

On 10/20/19 10:00, Zero wrote:
On 10/20/19 3:28 PM, Emefile Francis Nwajie wrote:
Thank you Andre for helping out.

I figured that the "systemd-console-setup.service" was disabled in the
server. I have enable it. However, tomcat still refuses to start. Below is
the content of tomcat.service:

[Unit]
Description=Apache Tomcat 9
After=syslog.target network.target

[Service]
User=tomcat
Group=tomcat
Type=forking
Environment=CATALINA_PID=/opt/tomcat/tomcat.pid
Environment=CATALINA_HOME=/opt/tomcat
Environment=CATALINA_BASE=/opt/tomcat
ExecStart=/opt/tomcat/bin/startup.sh
ExecStop=/opt/tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh
Restart=on-failure

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Now it doesn't give any error other than "Unit tomcat.service entered
failed state."

Tomcat logs its state in logfiles located in /var/log or /opt/tomcat/log.

Maybe check those loggings to get an idea of why it fails to startup.

Also:

$ journalctl -u tomcat.service

Because why should you be able to read a log file directly when you can run a program to read it for you?

-chris