(Tomcat 9, Debian & Centos Unix)

I use systemd to start tomcat with base and home separated using
catalina.sh. For the service script, values for JAVA_HOME,
CATALINA_HOME, CATALINA_BASE and CATALINA_OUT are defined there.

Inside catalina.sh it says this about CATALINA_OUT

#   CATALINA_OUT    (Optional) Full path to a file where stdout and stderr
#                   will be redirected.
#                   Default is $CATALINA_BASE/logs/catalina.out

If this isn't defined, catalina.sh sets a default. It seems that
everything that goes in here also goes in catalina.date.log
(controlled by the tomcat's logging.properties), so why does it exist?
Can I force a redirection to /dev/null instead so I don't have
duplicated logs?