As someone new to working with Tomcat (8), I see that a lot of the
introductory documentation suggests to use CVS (and in conjunction with ant)
for handling software revisions. However, I have read discussions about the
superiority of git for handling software revisions / commits, etc., and also
I wish to put my code where it will be publicly accessible, i.e., on github.

Will git work just as well as CVS for tomcat app development, or are there
specific, important reasons why the Tomcat documentation consistently refers
to CVS for this?

*       Bill Engelke