James,

On 1/7/20 12:28 PM, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> On 1/7/20 7:32 AM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> Hah, sorry about that. Nobody thought of specifying that only
>> root can view the iptables stuff. :)
>
> Not your fault, nor that of anybody else here; I blame the author
> of iptables and iptables-save: it should either (a) allow *anybody*
> to *see* the information, or (b) *tell* the user that he/she is
> not authorized to see it.
>
> While I occasionally use "quiet failure" myself, when writing code
> to protect database fields from unauthorized modification, I
> generally do so only when it actually makes sense, and the user can
> actually *see* that his or her attempt to change the value(s) was
> quietly ignored.
>
> ***
>
> But I'm still puzzled about the "output redirect" specified in the
> presentation, but absent from this installation (and yet it still
> works just fine).

iptables doesn't work on pipes, it works on packets. So you have to
redirect both incoming AND outgoing packets. That's why you have the
"output redirect" as well as the (more obvious) "input redirect".

> Does the "proxyPort" clause on the connector have something to do
> with it "working just fine" without the "output redirect"?

The proxyPort is just a configuration option which overrides the port
that will be used when Tomcat is building URLs that point back to
itself  (e.g. Location: for redirects). If Tomcat is listening on port
8443, then, obviously, port 8443 should be used. But if there is a
reverse-proxy in the way (or some other hand-wavy magic like
iptables), then you want to use the port that the CLIENT needs to use
to get back to you, regardless of the actual port being bound to by
Tomcat.

It's just like setting the virtual host hostname: you can't just
take-over "microsoft.com" by setting your <VirtualHost>'s hostname to
"microsoft.com". But if you don't do that, your users might be sent to
"node-1-6-2-4-6-32-34.binhost.net" which isn't quite what you want.