On 13/02/2020 01:02, Stefan Mayr wrote:
Hi,

- AJP defaults changed to listen the loopback address, require a secret
   and to be disabled in the sample server.xml
What was the motivation behind this breaking change to require a secret
or to explitly disable it? What makes an open AJP connector more unsafe
than an open HTTP connector?

We have hundreds of Tomcats behind Apache httpd with mod_jk. My
interpretation is that upgrading Tomcat 8.5 or 9.0 will break that setup
until we disable the secret in all of them (or add a secret in mod_jk
and Tomcat).
I would understand that for a new major version 10.x but not in the
lifecycle of an existing major version.

Hi,

I second those questions.

We also have many tomcat instances behind Apache HTTPD, most of them are not the same server. It is my understanding that the new default listening behavior on the loopback address would break our installation, as the AJP connector would no longer be reachable to our remote Apache HTTP server. It would requires that we update all our tomcat's server.xml configuration to explicitely listen to an additional address by specifying the "address" attribute of the AJP connector. Am I correct ? Why such a change ? Why no bugzilla issue for proper tracking and context ?
What are your recommendations regarding AJP connector configuration ?

Olivier