Suraj,

On 3/31/20 13:44, Agrawal, Suraj (CORP) wrote:
> Thanks for your response, yes the source application is not able
> to handle "Chunked" response so we want to disable it or at least
> increase the size.
🤦‍♂️

This is a required part of HTTP 1.1 which was released in 1996. Your
client is 25 years old?

Is your client requesting an HTTP 1.1 response? If so, it should NOT
do that because it cannot handle one. It should instead request an
HTTP 1.0 response instead, at which point Tomcat will not generate a
chunked response. Instead, it will allow a streaming response and
close the connection after the response has completed.

Better yet, if you can modify the client, FIX IT to it can actually
handle chunked responses.

> We recently ,moved from IIS to apache tomcat as default webserver
> for application.
>
> Also, I tried adding below in server.xml in HTTP/1.1 section but
> that did not helped.
>
> -   maxTrailerSize="-1" -   maxExtensionSize="-1"

None of those things will affect returning a chunked response.

Mostly your application can trigger chunked responses. Tomcat only
returns a chunked response if your application fills the output buffer
without setting a Content-Length header.

Check your code. Are you setting a Content-Length header? If not, then
you need to either expand the output buffer to ensure your response
fits into it or compute your Content-Length before filling that output
buffer.

- -chris

On 31/03/2020 17:35, Agrawal, Suraj (CORP) wrote:

>> Hi Team,
>>
>> We are getting webserver response failure when the response
>> message is large then 20 kb, I was reading and looks like Apache
>> Tomcat set "Transfer-Encoding = Chunked" when the size of message
>> increases 8 kb by default.
>
> You haven't demonstrated that those two statements are cause and
> effect.
>
> Please describe the failure in detail.
>
> Tomcat will quite happily serve responses that are multiple Gb in
> size so I'd be surprised if this turned out to be a Tomcat issue.
>
> Are you saying that the client you are using can't handled a
> chunked response?
>
>> Can you please help how we can disable  "Transfer-Encoding =
>> Chunked" or increase its size in Apache Tomcat 9.0.14 (we are
>> using Windows Server). I also tried adding below in server.xml
>> but that did not help;
>
> Adding what, exactly? The entire Connector? An attribute? Something
> to an attribute?
>
> Mark
>

>> <Connector port="9012" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
>> relaxedQueryChars="&#x20;&#x22;&#x3C;&#x3E;&#x5B;&#x5C;&#x5D;&#x5E;&#
x60;&#x7B;&#x7C;&#x7D;"
>> relaxedPathChars="&#x20;&#x22;&#x3C;&#x3E;&#x5B;&#x5C;&#x5D;&#x5E;&#x
60;&#x7B;&#x7C;&#x7D;"

compressableMimeType="text/html,text/xml,text/css,text/javascript,
application/x-javascript,application/javascript"
>> compression="on" compressionMinSize="128"
>> connectionTimeout="2000000" noCompressionUserAgents="gozilla,
>> traviata" maxpostsize="-1" maxHttpHeaderSize="65536"
>> maxTrailerSize="-1" maxExtensionSize="-1" redirectPort="9011" />
>>
>> Many thanks for your help in advance.
>>
>> Thanks & Regards, Suraj Agrawal

- -

addressee and may contain information that is privileged and
confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient
or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify the
sender immediately by return email and delete the message and any
attachments from your system.